"Masquerade"

Thursday, October 28, 2010
                                                 "Masquerade" Acrylic on 12x16 wood

I have two guilty pleasures. I  listen to Britney Spears religiously and I still watch cartoons. I absolutely j'adore cartoon action figures (esp Batman, X-Men, Sailer Moon, Sonic, and Yu-Gi-Oh) and I don't think I'll ever stop watching them. It gives life to my imaginations. I'm not crazy, well I hope I'm not, but when Mighty Morphin Power Rangers first came out, I fell in complete love with action heroes and created cartoon fantasies of my own. In fact, I grew up wanting to be a cartoonist, but I never believed that my dreams were realistic so I kept my comic journals a secret and focused on something else.

Although I don't have the same desire to be a cartoonist anymore, this piece helped me realize that I don't need to stick to one style. I'm a very random and unpredictable person that if I stick to one style, I'll be bored out of my mind. Art represents who you are as a person, therefore I'm accepting the fact that I may never have a distinct style due to my eclectic being.

I've been wanting to do this piece for so long but was afraid that people would think that I'm into "demonic" scary dark figures. But since I decided to step away from "groupthink", that's the least of my concerns and I'm happy with my new ideas. This was the first time I painted on wood panel and I enjoyed it so much. There's something sexy, raw, and organic about it and I encourage everyone to try drawing on wood. 

With that said, I decided to use my cartoon/action figures influences, and will focus on drawing more super hero characters from now on. The names will probably change along the way since this is an idea that's still marinating but let's call this one "masquerade" for now...

0 comments: