12 months aka 1 year locs

Monday, July 19, 2010

Guess what?

You know what today is?

It's my 1 year loc-versary!!! *Throws confetti and blows on bday horn*









































This year long journey been amazing and I don't plan on cutting or picking out my locs. It was amazing watching my locs get chubby and healthy. I experimented a lot with products, gave up my product junkie crown and settled with the aux naturelles substances (aloe vera, vitamin E oil, fish oil supplement, tea tree shampoo, coconut conditioner, and water).


We've been through a lot, my locs and I. From my mom calling me a hippie, to aunts saying I'll take them out when I get a man, from 2520 co-workers staring at them at birth and asking me "what's going on back there. Are you missing hair?", from 2520 dude in Chicago assuming I was homeless when I was seeking directions, from people asking me if I smoke weed and burn incense, and last but not less, people (esp. guys) insinuating that I'm now a lesbian. (Note: when people ask me directly, I say "no I'm not a lesbian" these people say "You will be soon") Yup Yup. All this because of my hair.


Alas!

But on the other hand, you have those who are actually taking the time to say "I love your locs, they're beautiful". Some (future locers) are having 2 hours phone conversation with me about how to start and maintain locs. Funny cuz I never thought I'd be in a position talking about what works and what doesn't in regards to hair. Not only that, people are asking me how to manage natural hair, since I was afro-ed for years before locing n popping. My little sister who obsessed over her long carmel hair, is on the path of doing the Big Chop and embracing her natural bella bella. She said she doesn't want to feel like a prisoner to perm anymore.



Interesting....



So like I said in my previous loc post, this will be my last loc blog post. I decided to make this blog strictly about the arts and random thoughts. I'm moving my loc journey over to youtube, because if it wasn't for the locers who were kind enough to share their pictures and experimentation on youtube, I would have never invested in locs. Thus, I thought it'd be nice to share my journey and inspire! My youtube channel is lilt4real103. Be advised though, that I won't have any videos yet, since my laptop decided to R.I.P, so I'm saving up for a new one. It'll be a while because I'm also saving for an apartment and you know how that goes... Well hope you guys enjoyed my journey and rambling. Join my silly-ness over at youtube coming soon...

IT'S A YEAR IT'S A FRACKIN YEAR!!!

*throws confetti again*

P.S. I have to add this


Results?

Negative.

My hair is still not blue...


P.S.  Let me tell you guys that I conquered my dandruff. Yup Yup. I saw a dermatologist and she told me it was seborrhoeic dermatitis. I was required to wash my hair with T-Gel shampoo everyday for 2 weeks and apply steroid drops called fluocinonide. Viola! After 2 weeks, no more of that. Phew!. I thought of taking down my locs because of it, thank goodness I persevered and decided to beat it with some prescribed steroids.God I love America!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching your loc'versary (did I say that right?) Anyway, it sounds like it's been a really eventful journey...I mostly need to comment on all the rancor you've encountered along the way, my goodness. I don't know how I managed to escape that when I had my locs, because the worst I ever got was, "I'd bet your hair would be SO LONG if you would straighten it!" and I had this older female cousin who models or strips or something once completely dismiss the idea that I was beautiful vs my long haired sister solely because my sister had long hair...but other than that, nothing even half as bad as you've described, and even all of that was enough to make the neurotic person I was cut them off in the name of being more conventionally pretty.

It's a good thing you know what you want to do with your hair, and I commend you for keeping up with it. See you in another year!